I will be posting a short summary of Global Outlook to monitor the market movements. […]
The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down shares wise advice about the importance of slowing down in our fast-paced world. There are many tips in how we can manage our thoughts and mental health.
Learning how to manage my thoughts proves to be challenging in a world disrupted by COVID-19. I spent many hours doing self-reflection about the new experiences brought about by the pandemic.
As such, I picked up some really helpful books that helped me align my thoughts in a positive manner. There are 2 books by Haemin Sunim which I find the most helpful in managing my mental health. I will be sharing insights from these 2 books across 2 posts. Click here to view the other post.
Is it the world that’s busy, or is it my mind?
The world moves fast, but that doesn’t mean we have to. This book illuminates a path to inner peace and balance, amid the overwhelming demands of everyday life.
When you slow down, the world slows down with you.
I hope these pointers would help someone in seeking peace within their minds.
The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: How to Be Calm in a Busy World
- If we train our mind and choose wisely where to focus, we will be able to experience the world corresponding to the state of our mind
- When your mind rests, the world also rests
- When you have an unpleasant feeling, don't struggle - the waves of emotions will naturally recede on its own as long as you don't feed on it by dwelling on it
- Don't struggle to heal your wounds. Just pour time into your heart and wait. When your wounds are ready, they will heal on their own
- When you make a mistake, accept such lessons with humility and gratitude to grow much more
- Make time for emptiness - don’t think about anything
- Discard what you don’t need - keep your mind clear
- Pause after every bite when eating
- Pare down your belongings - acquire only what you need
- Exhale deeply, breathe slowly
- Don’t worry about the things you can’t control
- Don’t be troubled by the things that have not happen
- Switch modes at gate - your being at work, your being at home etc
- Reset my mind - don’t think unhappy things
- Don’t put off what you can do today
- Don’t label yourself - discover your inner protagonist with boundless potential
- Take pleasure in your work - see work as mindful work that will educate and nurture you
- Immerse yourself in what is before you
- Don't compare yourself with others - cherish yourself
- Think simple - just focus on one thing
- Don’t fear change - a supple mind accepts change and find beauty & hope
- Have knowledge & wisdom - think with your own head and know when to apply knowledge to good use
- Don’t be bound by a single perspective - see things in different ways
- Believe in yourself - do your best & don’t fear moving forward
- Strong mind - the world is experienced according to the state of one’s mind
- Wait for the right opportunity
- Appreciate your connection with what you own currently
- Find peace by casting away greed, anger & ignorance
- Be grateful - the most grateful you feel, the happier you will become
- Focus on others’ merits especially when their faults are on display
- Fine tune your timing - don’t be too rush or too relax
- Don’t fixate on what is right or wrong - compromise
- Give up the need to be liked by everyone
- See things for what they are - your preferences, likes, dislikes are a product of your own mind
- Detach - have an unfettered mind that’s not swayed by mere words
- Don’t keep thinking in terms of gains and losses
- Be decisive - trust yourself. Don’t be swayed by the opinions of others
- Be here now - the you of a moment ago belongs to the past
- Everyday is precious - be positive
- Don’t covet - wanting more leads to suffering. Know how much is enough to be satisfied
- Accept reality for what it is - see things as they are
- Don’t show off
- Don’t be fixated on the destination - enjoy the journey
- Don’t divide things into good & bad - it breeds worry & stress
- Stretch the limits of your mind
- Cherish being alive everyday
- Make every preparation - whether you can make the most of an opportunity depends on dedication and preparedness
- Do the right things - focus on what should be done.
- Put everything into here and now - make the most of life
Thank you for reading! Please like my Facebook page to get the latest updates.