I will be posting a short summary of Global Outlook to monitor the market movements. […]
Pursuing FIRE may require a postpone of today's indulgence for the future's. The magic of compound interest is a motivation to save up as much as possible now, withholding consumption in the present. As such, I hardly splurge and only spend on the essential things. Pampering has taken a backseat. I find reading these books help me to say grounded.
- How to accept yourself (Haemin Sunim book review)
- How to look after your mental health (44 tips)
- Book summary: The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli
Here, I distill all the essential concepts from the books I read.
- Happiness is the absence of desire
- Peace happens when you don't turn an observation into a problem. If you don't have the desire to act on what you observe, you are at peace
- Being curious and motivated leads to action
- It is desire, not intelligence that prompts behavior
- Cultivate a desire before doing anything
- Emotions are a threat to wise decision making
- Suffering drives progress. Source of suffering is the desire for a change in state
- Reward is on the other wise of sacrifice
- Aggregation of marginal gains - make small improvements daily
- Be 1% better everyday. A slow pace of transformation is okay.
- Outcomes are a lagging measure of habits
- Forget goals. Focus on systems. The process will lead to the result that you want to achieve (goal).
- Fall in love with the process instead of the momentary happiness of getting the goal.
- The commitment to the process determine your progress
- To change things, you need to have a goal, plan and change your identity
- Practical way to change who you are is to change what you do
- Decide the person you want to be then take small steps to reinforce your desired identity with the habits you choose today
- Focus by taking actions (active practice), not in motion (passive learning)
Big picture thinking
- See the big picture and know the destination
- Have a Growth mindset and learn continually
- Think with clarity
- Identify your priorities and see what bear fruit the most
- Have ideas, explore options, imagine
- Don't fear failure
- Do the work, be knowledgeable, get the facts and think with certainty
- "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"
- Look for possibilities in every situation
- Have belief
Question popular thinking
- Think before you follow
- Learn how to focus and prioritize your thoughts effectively. This means that you need to pick and choose what matters to you and what don't
- You don't need to give a f*ck about everything & everyone
- Be comfortable about being different
- Find something important & meaningful in life so you won't give a f*ck to meaningless/ frivolous and trivial things
- Make time for emptiness
- Don't worry about things you can't control
- See work as mindful work that educate and nurture you
- Don't compare
- Find peace by casting away greed, anger & ignorance
- Don't be bound by a single perspective. See things in different ways
- Don't be fixated on what's right or wrong. Compromise
- Be good to yourself first, then to others - learn how to express your feelings without agonizing over it
- Attain inner peace by not feeding and producing negative thoughts and learning to accept circumstances - suspend your inner monologue if there is nothing you can change
- Don't get swept away by the storm - follow the wisdom emanating from the storm's peaceful eye
- Worry about the problems that you are facing right now will do. For the rest, you will cross the bridge when you come to it
- Focus on learning and improving
- Take the challenge, learn from failure, continue the effort
- Don't worry about mistakes, failures in the process
- Be curious
- Find and build specific knowledge
- Find work that feels like play
- Be patient. You have to give your desired outcome a long enough timescale. It takes time and you have to put in the time.
- Decision-making: If you can be more right and rational, you will get non-linear returns in your life
Thank you for reading my post! Please feel free to connect with me and get updated posts on Facebook.